Best Laundry Room Countertop Ideas
While your family might spend plenty of time in the kitchen or living room, there’s one room in your home that everyone uses – the laundry room.
We might not spend hours of time there, but our laundry rooms are one of the most important spaces in our homes. The laundry room, or mudroom, is filled with dirty laundry, toys, tools, and can be used as additional storage space. That means it has to be strong enough to withstand the daily wear and tear of your family – which can be easier said than done.
If your kids are placing their bags, toys, uniforms, or other items on your laundry room countertops, it’s important to have the right natural stone surface. If you’re about to undergo a major remodel, or build a laundry room from scratch, consider the following before you begin.
Low Maintenance Stone Countertops are Best for Laundry Rooms
When it comes to your laundry room, it’s important to select a countertop material that suits your lifestyle. You don’t have time to worry about your laundry room or spend hours trying to maintain the countertops. Therefore, installing a delicate countertop material isn’t in your best interest. Find a low maintenance stone countertop that’s easy to clean, but still matches your laundry room.
Ask yourself the following questions prior to installation: how much countertop space do you need, and how often is it going to be seen by guests? Depending on the answer, you can find the proper materials for your budget, lifestyle, and design preferences. Your laundry room might not be on display, but it’s still nice to have a cohesive look to your laundry room.
In most cases, you’ll want a durable laundry room countertop material that is also cost-effective. Let’s take a closer look at the best material choices for your laundry room.
Best Laundry Room Countertop Ideas and Materials
Because this room sees plenty of action throughout the day, it’s important to consider durability before style. Luckily, many of the most durable countertop materials happen to be beautiful – which is why we’ve assembled this list of our favorites.
- It goes without saying that quartz countertops are known for their durability. As one of the most scratch and heat resistant stone surfaces on the market, it will stand up to sports gear, laundry, kids, and pets.
- As an engineered material, it comes in a wide variety of colors and patterns, so you can pick and choose a style that fits your needs. It also doesn’t require annual sealing, so it’s a fairly maintenance free countertop material.
- If you want to create an especially seamless look, continue your quartz as a backsplash along the back of your laundry room.
- Another material known for its durability, granite has the widest variety of patterns, materials, and texture. If you opted for a neutral cabinet or flooring, then a dark granite countertop will offset your design choice perfectly.
- As a popular kitchen countertop material, granite countertops are ideal for environments with high heat, such as your laundry room.
- Remember, granite requires sealant, but commercial sealers can last 15 years, so you won’t spend much time on maintenance.
- This low maintenance countertop material is incredibly resistant to stains and scratches, thanks to the sintering process it goes through. Because of the intense amount of heat and pressure from sintering, Dekton is highly resistant to heat and external wear and tear.
- If you experience a lot of daily activity in your laundry room, this is the best countertop material for you.
While there are pros and cons to all countertop materials, when it comes to your laundry room, it’s essential to pick something that can withstand the wear and tear of daily life. When installing laundry room countertops, be mindful of a few things:
- When redesigning your laundry room, be aware of the overall layout
- Some laundry rooms have a stackable washer and dryer, while others don’t. It’s important to consider how you’d like to layout your space, so you can pick materials accordingly.
- Color coordinate your flooring, cabinets, and countertops
- A cohesive laundry room is just as important as a cohesive kitchen. Be sure to pick colors that suit your taste, but are also great for resale value.
- Discuss ground rules with your family
- While the countertop materials listed are incredibly durable, it’s important to discuss how they should be treated. Tell your kids to be mindful of what they drop on their way inside – heavy toys and objects aren’t ideal for your space.
- With a bit of mild soap and routine countertop cleaning, you will be able to keep your countertops in great condition.